My second stop in my Eurotrip was Florence, Italy, known to Italians as Firenze, better known to me as Gelato Capital of the World!!! Also the place where my phone “bricked” and I was left without any cellular data or service for a week. 😭
I stayed in Firenze for about three and a half days at the Plus Florence Hostel. While I met a nice international Chinese girl studying in Seattle, Washington, for the most part I did everything alone in Florence. (Being solo overseas is a blog post I’ll be writing about soon) I ate about 10 cups of gelato, and I don’t regret it – luckily I restrained myself to two smallish scoops each time 🙂
Firenze is a small, but very popular city. You can literally walk the entire city center in a day. I stayed there for almost four, so I kind of got bored on Day 3 and 4. Some popular attractions are the:
- Florence Cathedral
- Palazzo Pitti
- Ponte Vecchio
- Piazza della Signoria
- Santa Croce
- Uffizi Gallery
- Mercato Centrale
I visited all of the places above and more, which are all within walking distance of each other, but was not in the mood to pay and stand in ridiculously long lines to look at art. The Louvre satisfied that urge for me.
Best things about Florence:
- GELATO! 2 scoop gelato for 2 euros! Natural and delicious 😜
- Mercato Centrale – In this bustling area, everyone is trying to call you over to their booth to sell you leather goods. But inside lies a food market where you can get pasta, wines, fruit, veggies, oil, just about anything. It is super easy to come here and get a cheap meal
- The amazing views from the Ponte Vecchio and Ponte alle Grazie. While the Ponte Vecchio is famous for being the bridge of the rich Medici family – as evidenced by all the jewelers with stores on the bridge, Ponte alle Grazie gives a fantastic view (look at my pictures!)
- How small it is – so easy to get everywhere and no need for public transportation. Just walk!
Not so great things about Florence:
- I did not like the hostel I stayed at. My room was somewhat dirty and old, and one of the beds in our dorm had blood on it *yuck* 😷
- While I did enjoy my time alone exploring the city, sometimes I did get lonely and since my phone was of no use, I just had to walk around.
Overall I LOVED Florence, I will surely be back here in the near future.